Implementation and Management Approach
To guarantee the success of the SÃ¬GOVe implementation we choose a technology partner - HP Business Intelligence Solutions (HP BIS) in order to address the complexity of the architectural and technical layer.
The success gained was reached merging
- HP business intelligence and project management skills
- DSSR users deep knowledge on statistical analysis, territory, information topics and data sources content
- IT technical and project management skills of the IT department of the Veneto Region.
The steering committee is constituted by the partner program manager (HP), the IT manager (Veneto Region) and the manager of the statistical department (DSSR Veneto Region). With such a mix all the necessary actions to drive and keep on track the project are in place, allowing to manage all the changes to adapt the initial plan to the actual context and issues.
The operational team is constantly aligned (monthly meetings) with the steering committee strategic vision.
The operational team isÂ made up of
- functional and technical users (DSSR)
- a project manager and technical resources (HP)
- technical users (IT department).
It is important to emphasize the how DSSR approach the information management process.
The core activity in the process of data organization lays in the correct application of statistical methodologies in all the steps of the process. These methodologies are applied in
- the analysis and definition of the indicators and in understanding the relations between indicators;
- the phase of defining standard rules for indicator calculations; chosen indicators are meaningful to represent the different phenomena;
- data validation and data quality check processes, starting from initial data loading till the validation of synthetic indicators;
- metadata definition and management as metadata is fundamental in information organization and allow correct data utilization (i.e. source, data reference, ...).
At the beginning we identified the whole content of the system; then we started with a modular approach, focusing on two areas (10-years thematic census starting from 1971, demographic conditions) and 5 users. In the following years, we implemented other 30 areas and we opened the systems to all the users and stakeholders involved.
At the end of each year a plan is prepared for development of the following year.
The success obtained has guaranteed new budget to go on with the project and to add new functionalities (as dashboard), data sources, reports and so on.
To better match the user needs aÂ continuous training has been put in place in order
- refresh and increase technical skills on reporting tools (in this way users are able to create in autonomy complex analysis and reports)
- communicate new information areas and reports available in SÃ¬GOVe
- discover new opportunities and requirements.
Usually the single end-to-end implementation cycle of a sectorÂ (from collecting users requirements to the deployment of the solution in the production environment)Â Â takes a 2/4 months timeframe. For the tasks performed in each module see attachment "02_DSSR_SiGOVe_manager_GTZ_NDRC_chinese_delegation_13112008.pdf" page 5.
The cohesion of team members is decisive to reach the goal in an effective way. The HP Business intelligence implementation methodology (BIIM) in the BI / DWH scenario, specifically adopted on the project, allow the team to reach the targets in such a short time.
Today the system consists of 30 information flows, has more than 20 business context of analysis, 350 predefined reports organized in areas, 14 dashboard pages on different subjects (i.e. economy, agriculture, tourism, population). The database schema has more than 500 staging tables, 200 fact tables, 280 dimension tables.
First of all the partner has been evaluated; it was necessary to find out a partner with functional and technical skills andÂ ability to manage complex project. The partners had to support Â the design and implementation of the innovative statistical information system for the Veneto Region, SÃ¬GOVe.
After the choice our IT Department (Veneto Region) and the partner itself focused in the architecture design and the software selection process, evaluating technologies based on a best of breed approach.
Of course, the selection process was guided by both the IT and Business Users requirements to define a newÂ standard and scalableÂ architectureÂ to answer to the following needs:
- leverage the Veneto Region investment in technology
- evaluate the obsolescence of the product/platform used
- have a unique stack to address the BI functionalities
- allow a flexible and a progressive grow of the BI solution in term of functionalities
- define a BI solution that allow a central management reducing the need of any local technical representative in business department
- choice of a standard solution with solid technical foundation and a local presence of skilled resources in the market
At the end of the process we identified the new application standard for BI projects in which Oracle RDBMS was the maintained choice for the data layer and the Business Objects suite was the new choice for the data integration, application and presentation layer.
Access to SÃ¬GOVe is allowed in the Intranet of Regione Veneto or through the Internet (http://sigove.regione.veneto.it/InfoViewApp/logon.jsp). In order to access SÃ¬GOVe you have to be an authorized user.Â As of today, direct access to the system is allowed to DSSR users and users belonging to Regione Veneto.
From a technical view point: the web and the application servers are based on HP Proliant technology, while the database is on an HP superdome server.
To see the application architecture please refer "02_DSSR_SiGOVe_manager_GTZ_NDRC_chinese_delegation_13112008.pdf" page 7 and 10.